Hover mouse over image for High Resolution View
Miss Laura's Social Club
S/N Fine Art Paper
22" x 28"
Original: Oil on canvas
This victorian structure was built in 1898 by the Frisco Railroad as a hotel for the workers. Located nearthe Arkansas River on the west side of town it was known as the Riverside Commercial Hotel. Other 'Hotels' soon sprang up in a row along 2nd street; one of them was run by Pearl Starr, the daughter of Belle Starr. The railroad eventually sold the hotel to a local entrepreneur who revived and established it as "Miss Laura's Social Club". Local dignitaries as well as outlaws were entertained by Miss Laura for many years until they were closed in the 1950's.
Miss Laura's was the first brothel to be listed on the National Register of Historic Places and is now used as the tourist information and welcome center for Fort Smith.
Available are signed and numbered prints which come complete with genuine doctor's report on the employee's health that was discovered during the restoration of the building.